From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ad-Dajjal (Arabic: د?ج?ّ?ا?ل?) ("The Deceiver") is an evil figure in Islamic eschatology, who will appear before Yaum al-Qiyamah (Day of the Resurrection). He is the Antichrist, as viewed in Christianity.
Various hadith, or traditions, are preserved about the attributes of ad-Dajjal like the following:
· He will be physically misshapen, and see everything only with his left eye. His right eye will be present but it will be dark (black) and he won't be able to see through it.
· He will ride a beast which can cross seas, fly over land, and crawl under Earth.
· He will be able to see and hear many things in many places.
· He will deceive the faithful, teaching them that Heaven is Hell and vice versa.
· He will have the power to work miracles in order to mislead believers.
· He will try to put Man on God's throne.
· He will have the Arabic letters kaf, fa and ra (kafir) -meaning unbeliever- branded on his forehead, but only Muslims will be able to see this.
· He will have the ability to revive the dead, and consequently claim to be God.
Some traditions of Islam relate that he will appear at Isfahan, and that he will rally the Isfahan Jews and many former Muslims and Christians to his support. His followers will have two reddish horns sprouting from their heads in time.
The occurrence of the Dajjal will correspond with the appearance of the Imam Mahdi, who will rally the faithful on earth to oppose him. Eventually, Isa (the name of Jesus in Arabic) will return from Heaven and slay the Dajjal. No one is advised to try to fight the Dajjal because the final killing will be done by Isa (Jesus). According to many interpretations this will occur near The Gate of Ludd (ancient city of Lydda)